Bring a Fresh, Spring Look into Your Home
Do you avidly read the “what’s in and what’s out” lists for home décor each year? Or are you content with your style, but spring weather makes you want to lighten up the décor just a little?
Cozy works in winter – even if you are in warm climates for the winter season – but there’s something about the feel of spring that makes us want to shed winter style and bring a fresh look into our homes. However, if you’re like most of us, you don’t need more stuff that you’ll end up storing when you bring out the winter decorating “cozies” again. Read on for things you can do to freshen up the look of your home without adding a lot of items to care for.
Start with cleaning and decluttering
- Open the windows to let fresh air in and wash them to make sure you’re getting maximum benefit of spring sunlight.
- Clean your blinds and wash your washable curtains. If you have drapes that need professional cleaning, it’s time to schedule that with a local service. In their place, consider sheers for any area where privacy is not an issue.
- Declutter by putting any winter items – especially holiday decorations – in storage.
- Change from heavy winter bedding to lightweight summery fabrics. Wash your winter bedding and store it for next fall.
Consider inexpensive decorating refreshers
- New towels or a new shower curtain can easily freshen up the look of your bathroom. Check out opportunities to donate old towels to animal shelters or veterinary clinics, or to groups that make rag rugs.
- A bright table runner and new napkins for your dining space can add a punch of spring-like or summery color. Resell old runners and napkins, donate them to local charities or turn them into craft projects.
- Decorative pillows in bold patterns spark up the look in your living area or your bedroom. Repurpose old pillows, take them to a resale store or donate them to charity.
- Consider adding some accessories or painting an accent wall in Pantone’s Color of the Year – Ultra Violet. Lavender is also a great color to bring in to your decorating this year.
- A new candle or two in cheerful colors can brighten up your table or living area. Chose a fun scent if you like.
- Buy some lemons and limes and fill a glass bowl with them as a centerpiece. If you don’t have a fun glass bowl to use, check out resale stores for an inexpensive bowl or trifle dish.
- Force some bulbs or buy a flowering plant.
- Plan your summer planters – clean and sterilize them and make any necessary repairs. If you have fiberglass planters that have cracked, try auto body filler to fill the cracks. It sands smooth so you can easily repaint it with a fresh new color.
If you’re feeling energetic
- Paint your entrance door a new color or give it a touch up in the old color. Don’t need a touch up or repaint? Give it a good scrub. For a finishing touch, add a welcoming spring wreath.
For more ideas, you’ll find lots of inspiration online. Most of all, be true to your taste, showcase what you love and follow your own creative instincts.