Don't Let Your Pets Overheat Outside
Summertime means spending long days in hot, sunny weather with your furry loved ones by your side. It's the perfect time for you and your pet to be more active. However, having a fur coat can pose some risks for your pets if they are in the sun for too long. Since they don't sweat like humans, they can overheat a lot faster than we can. But don't worry! There are plenty of precautions you can take to ensure they'll be safe and content in the summer heat. Here are five helpful tips to keep in mind while playing outside with your pet:
- Have plenty of water on hand. Your pet will be thirstier than normal during the summer, and can get dehydrated very quickly. Always provide plenty of fresh, cold water as needed. If you're going on a long walk, have a few water bottles on hand for water breaks, and keep them in the shade as much as possible.
- Never leave your pet in a car unattended. This is extremely important! Leaving animals in a parked vehicle is incredibly dangerous. Even if the windows are down, they're still at risk of fatal heat stroke.
- Keep their paws protected. Walking on hot cement or asphalt for long periods of time can cause your pet to overheat a lot quicker, and can burn their sensitive paws. Always feel the pavement before taking a walk to see how hot it is, and walk them in the early morning or evening when it's not the hottest time of the day.
- Never use fireworks around your pets. Celebrating with fireworks during the summer is fun and exciting for most humans, but it can be traumatizing for your dog or cat. Loud noises can scare and disorient them, and lit fireworks could cause accidental severe burns. Always keep them away from the noise in a safe, sheltered area.
- Know the symptoms of overheating. Dogs and cats are at high risk of overheating during the summer. If you notice any heavy panting, thick drool or vomiting, move them to a cool place and give them water immediately. You may get a damp towel and wrap it around them, but experts advise to never put them in cold water because it can cause shock. If symptoms don't improve, take them to your local vet right away.
If you practice these safety tips, you should feel confident to enjoy the summer with your furry friends. Have fun and be safe!